Sunday, February 17, 2008

So close to South Africa

We have been trying to keep busy on the ship, with what else but classes! How fun...
 
In addition to that, we had the official ceremonies for Neptune Day. Early in the morning (aka 7am), the crew came around knocking on our doors and banging on drums. A little while latey started the ceremony. It consisted of people getting fish guts poured on them, then jumping in the pool, coming out to kiss fish, and bowing down to "King Neptune" (aka our dean). Then, the people with even more courage got their heads shaved. As much as I would like to say that I had the courage to do those things, I did not partake, but took tons of pictures. There were over 50 people who got their heads shaved, including a significant number of girls.
 
As of tomorrow, we will be 7 hours ahead of the East Coast. Time is flying by here, especially since we have been losing an hour every other night while crossing the Atlantic. We encountered some rough waters in the middle of the ocean and we had to hold on to our plates in the dining hall so they didn't slide off the table due to the rocking. Rumor has it that the waters will be particularly rough immediately after Cape Town, some of the worst in the world. Luckily, I have been getting used to the rocking and have enjoyed the adventure of living on a ship.
 
So, what will I be doing in South Africa?
  • Day 1: Habitat for Humanity. I am soooo excited to do this. I have always wanted to do habitat for humanity and never had a chance while in Boston. Now I can do it in South Africa!
  • Day 2: Cycling in the winelands and jazz at night. Can you imagine biking and drinking wine at the same time? Should be interesting...
  • Days 3 - 6: Safari!! I hope to see tons of animals. I did a four-day safari rather than a three-day one so that I could have the greatest chance of seeing them.
I wish I had more time to hang out in Cape Town, but I am hoping that some of the nights I will be able to explore. I guess tourism has just surpassed gold as the main industry. Diamonds are also quite popular; however, I did just read a Blood Diamonds, which was disturbing. I also read Kaffir Boy, which is a great story about a boy growing up during the apartheid era.
 
 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be courageous enough for fish on the head either. Enjoy South Africa and stay safe. Oh, and be careful with the wine and biking - that seems like a dangerous combo, especially with all the wild animals.
-Jillian

Anonymous said...

check blog. I changed settings.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca, Your Aunt Carla has been sharing your adventure with us. I work with her and I'm enjoying reading your blog. Safe travels. What a wonderful adventure. Cheryl

Unknown said...

there is a whereintheworldisbecca map in the McC lobby. I hope you will post up more pictures once you are in the safari! Will you see lions?

-Chensi

Anonymous said...

I didn't know there was a book for Blood Diamonds. I saw the movie. Was very depressing.

Anonymous said...

Hi, im brody kraussel in 6th grade in Mr.Schulteis's class. In south Africa why are most people nearly bald?

Anonymous said...

Did anyone ask you to shave your head?

Anonymous said...

Hi, im brody kraussel in 6th grade in Mr.Schulteis's class. In south Africa why are most people nearly bald?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Jake Kallan from Mr.Schultei's class. Why were those people dancing?

Anonymous said...

Hello my name is austin from Mr. shculties room, i was wondering if you have and pictues of a waterbuck? Thanx you.

Anonymous said...

what day is neptune day??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? It should be a national holiday.

Anonymous said...

Why are all those people in the pictue bald?

Anonymous said...

why do all of those boys have there heads shaved?
-Emma

Anonymous said...

why didn't you shave your head??

Anonymous said...

do the people there do many other cerimonies.

-hailey from Mr.Schulties

Anonymous said...

do the people there do many other cerimonies.

-hailey from Mr.Schulties class

Anonymous said...

Why did you not shave your head?

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca,

Habitat for Humanity sounds like a really nice thing to do. Your trip sounds like a lot of fun! What is your favorite part so far?I can't believe how many people shaved their heads ;).

-Erika Baldwin, Mr. Schulteis's class.