Thursday, March 6, 2008

Mauritius

In the past week, I have arrived and departed from Mauritius.
 
Honestly, I wasn't too excited about it, and from I can tell from my blog poll, nobody else was either. Most or all of us on the ship hadn't even heard of Mauritius previously. That is because we are mostly Americans and most Americans don't choose Mauritius for their beach vacation. One person who had heard of Mauritius was Mark Twain - he said, "You gather the idea that Mauritius was made first and then heaven, and that heaven was copied after Mauritius."
 
Mauritius was indeed heavenly. The beaches were incredibly beautiful. While there, I took advantage of the wonderful outdoor environment that Mauritius offered. The first day, I went to the Botanical Gardens. Unfortunately, there weren't nearly as many flowers as I would have expected, it was more a variety of palm trees. I wouldn't go back, but it was nice to check it out. We also went to Grand Baie beach for some fufu drinks (as Doctor Brown calls them) and some sun. That night, I went to a wonderful resort for a Mauritian food lecture, demo, and buffet. If you know me, you know that I loved this event.
 
The next day, I went on a conservation on the islands trip. Mauritius is well known for its endemic species. In other words, 45% of the plants, 73% of the birds, and 89% of the reptiles are unique to the island. As a result, on Sunday, we went to one of the islands off of Mauritius and saw some of the unique birds as well as giant tortoises. The afternoon was spent at relaxing at the beach.
 
The next day was quite an adventure. We went hiking to Tamarind Falls. Without a guide, we would have had no idea where to go. We were climbing across rocks, shimmying down trees, and using trees along the path to get back up the hill. We saw 4 waterfalls and cliff jumped from one of them from a height of at least 30 feet high. It was fabulous and such a wonderful experience.
 
The last day in Mauritius was spent doing some more exploring. I went to the Central Market which had handicrafts, produce (which I always love), and then all types of meat and fish butchered right in front of your eyes. I will spare you the pictures, but let me just tell you, any part of the body was sold. That afternoon, we took a two-hour public bus ride with all the locals to a wonderful beach, called Troux au Biches. We then took the bus back to Port Louis and had dinner close to the ship. After seeing another cruise ship in port, I definitely appreciate the maintenance they do to keep our ship in good shape.
 
All the time we were in Mauritius, there was a religious pilgrimage traveling to the southern part of the island. It was awesome to see these people walking down the road, dressed up and carrying a sort of altar. This pilgrimage a lso did make travel a little more difficult around the relatively small island (20 by 40 miles).
 
Overall, it was another great port, and I am glad that I spent it productively as compared to many other SAS students who partied their "SAS Spring Break" away.
 

43 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the tortoise!
-Jillian

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Courtney. I am from Mr. Schulteis's class. That is a huge turtle. It is very cool.

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Cally from Mr.Schulteis's class. The picture of the humongous turtle must have been so amazing. Also the waterfall looks really pretty! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Erika from Mr. Schulteis's class. Mauritius sounds gorgeous! The turtle is cool, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Emma. I am from Mr. Schulteis's class. WOW! that is one HUMONGOUS turtle! it is sweeeet. I really want to go on this same trip as you are now. Oh, and the sharks are MAGNIFICIENT! How the hay would you get such a wonderful picture of that shark. Were you the one who took this picture? Did you take that picture of the zebra? If you did then wouldn't you be scared to go that close to the zebra? I would. When you took this picture of the shark the water is sooooo beautiful! It is such a beautiful aqua color.
-Emma

Anonymous said...

i like turtles

Anonymous said...

How big is that turtle?? Can we put it in a stew????

Anonymous said...

Hi this is Cassie from Mr.Schulteis's class. The Mauritius is so pretty and that tortuise is HUGE!

Anonymous said...

That turtle must have been at least 60 years old. They can live over 100 years.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca,
I am Ireland from Mr. Schulteis class. It must have been fun to go to Mauritius. it sound like a wonderful place. Was it fun seeing the turtle? Have a fun rest of a trip.

Anonymous said...

Hi, It's Jake from Mr.Sculteis's class. Were you scard when you were by the turtle????????????

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Sarah from Mr. Schulteis's room, that turtle is huge! And the water fall is very, very pretty.


Have fun!
(:

Anonymous said...

I love turtles.

Anonymous said...

whoever thougt about puting that turtle in a stew is cruel

Anonymous said...

ya it is cruel

Anonymous said...

yes indeed it is very cruel.

Anonymous said...

That picture of the water fall is buetiful!
-Kendall

Anonymous said...

Hi, Becca!!
I am Cassie from Mr. Schlteis class, in the picture, did the turtle every try and hurt somebody?? Did it feel good to feel a turlte sheel, was it harder then a rock??

Sincerly,
~Cassie

Anonymous said...

did you go swimming in the water next to the water fall?

-Michael

Anonymous said...

How tall was that waterfall??

Anonymous said...

Did you see any parones in the amazon?

Anonymous said...

did you see any snakes in the amazon

Anonymous said...

What was it like jumping off of a cliff??

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Hailey from Mr.Schulteis class. How old was the turtle? and can you tell by just looking at it?

Anonymous said...

sure you can, It must have been at least 75 years old!!!!

Anonymous said...

Whoever asked if they could put the turtle in the stew, well, that was just mean! Did you take the picture of the shark in the water?

Anonymous said...

Dear Becca,
Ignore Jake he is cruel to ask if you can cook the poor turtle!

Anonymous said...

Dear Becca,
Ignore the person who said if you can put the turtle in the stew he is in out class. Not to mention his name Jake.

Anonymous said...

putting a turtle in a stew is very cruel. very very mean.

Anonymous said...

Jake you are MEAN!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Becca, that turtle is totally rad, and how old do you think it was?

Anonymous said...

Hi becca this is JJ from Mr.schulteis's social studies class I think your whole project is very neat and I also think that Jake is mean because he wants to eat the big turtle, I mean who would want to eat a old cool turtle. I think I could ride the awsome turtle. GO TURTLE!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Trey, I'm in Mr.Schulteis's social studies class. I have a few questions. Where else in the world can you find a turtle that big? Also what type of turtle was it and how big was it? Did you see the olylimpic torch and were you guarded from the torch?

P.S (Jake is not mean at all!!!)

Anonymous said...

Hi becca this is JJ from Mr.schulteis's social studies class I think your whole project is very neat and I also think that Jake is mean because he wants to eat the big turtle, I mean who would want to eat a old cool turtle. I think I could ride the awsome turtle. GO TURTLE!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Becca,
My name is Lindsey, I am from Mr. Schulteis's Social Studies class. That turtle is VERY big. i would love to be there right now. It's better then cold Wisconsin! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Trey is wrong jake is cruel.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca (:
This is Brianna from Mr.Schulteis's Social Studies Class.

I love your pictures that you took.
The Mauritius looked like it was a beautiful site in person.
The turtle that you saw is HUGE
Did the turtle have a name? What was it?

What your doing is amazing (:

Anonymous said...

Becca your pictures are very pretty!

You are a good photographer.
You are also pretty becca!

Anonymous said...

JAKE ISN'T MEAN OR CRUEL IT WAS A QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca,
this is Hailey in Mr.Schulteis social studies class. that turtle in that picture is HUGE . how old was it? can you tell how old a turtle is just by looking at it? These things you have seen are SO COOL. i have always wanted to see a turtle out in the wild besides in a zoo. when you get back you are going to have some great stories to tell everyone. That Mauritius is amazing. this stuff is so cool. i really would like to do something like you when i am older.

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

NOT MEAN
NOT MEAN
NOT MEAN
NOT MEAN
NOT MEAN
NOT MEAN
NOT MEAN
TTTTTAAAAARDDDDDDSS

Anonymous said...

look at the comment above, I know who typed that i think it was robert or trey.

Hotels in Mauritius said...

Mauritius is really a paradise..you have great pictures also..the place is very nice..