Thursday, April 10, 2008

China

What do you call a person who speaks three or more languages? Multi-lingual

What do you call a person who speaks two languages? Bilingual

What do you call a person who speaks one language? American

 

I certainly felt like an American in China. Hardly anybody spoke English and we were the spectacle at a lot of the places that we visited.

 

We arrived in Hong on Thursday, April 3rd. For the past two months, everyone has been saying that Hong Kong is the best port to arrive to. Sadly, the weather was rainy and cloudy. When I first began to see land and buildings, I was saying to myself, this is cool but nothing special. Then we kept sailing in further and further, and there were more and more buildings all around. I have never seen so many skyscrapers in my life. Hong Kong is a huge city, spread out on various islands. It was so hard to know what to do in one day. I ended up taking a Chinese cooking class, which was good, but I didn't really learn to cook dishes that I could replicate. In the afternoon and evening, I just explored the area and went to a great dinner with Dani, Allyson, George, and Connor.

 

The next day, we left early morning for Beijing. That day, we saw the Summer Palace and then explored some of Beijing at night. Saturday was the day that we were all waiting for – the Great Wall of China. As Allyson said, it was more like the Great Staircase of China. The wall was in a mountainous area, so the elevation keeps rising and falling. It is a total of 6000 kilometers long and is the only man-made structure that can be seen from space. We took a ski lift up to the wall and then a toboggan down. The toboggan was a lot of fun, except for the fact that I ran into the Chinese father and daughter in front of me when my breaks wouldn't work. I felt horrible, but they were really nice about it. I think George got it on video. For future showing…

 

The next two days in Beijing were spent exploring more of the sights such as Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, and the Temple of Heaven. We also did some shopping. In fact, I got two shirts tailored for when I start work in July. And if I need more, I can easily send an email to get more made. Bargaining has been essential is all of the countries that we visited. I hate bargaining, with a passion. Why can't they just give us a fair price to start with? And then when we finally do get the price that we want, we are still skeptical of whether or not we got ripped off. When we hear that someone bought the same item as us, we always ask the price that the other person paid and then one of the people is disappointed that they didn't get it for cheaper. At this market, it was the first time I had fun bargaining because the vendors were so desperate. Tips for bargaining that I learned:

·       Laugh at the original price

·       Say that a friend got it for cheaper (then they say "same same but different")

·       Keep chanting the same price over and over again

·       Buy in mass quantities

·       Find a defect in the quality

·       Walk away – most useful trick of all

 

The last day of our six-day China trip was spent in Shanghai. We just walked around the city, which had a mix of new and old architecture. There were lots of interesting buildings in both Beijing and Shanghai. These Chinese cities are growing incredibly fast and the economies are booming.

 

 

Olympics and Riots

 

As you probably know, the Olympics will be held in Beijing this summer. There were souvenir shops set up everywhere. We saw a few of the facilities being built for the games. They were awesome, but there is still a long way to go, with respect to facilities as well as general tourist services. Millions of people will be converging on China in four months. We arrived to the new terminal at the Beijing airport, which is first-class and now the world's largest building. However, very few of the taxi drivers or restaurant workers speak English. In fact, the guys on the street who are trying to sell us fake purses speak better English. I didn't find Beijing to be a tourist-friendly city. Without my guide, I don't know how we would have survived.

 

As for the controversy surrounding the Olympics, there are two reasons that people are rioting: their polluted cities and their human rights record. As for the pollution, it was definitely noticeable. For all four days that we were in Beijing, we never saw a blue sky or the skyline of the city. The air was always full of smog.

 

With respect to the human rights record, there is certainly quite a list of threats to human rights in China. China has executed more people in three months than the rest of the world has in 3 years. There is little legal representation and many of the executions happen soon after sentencing. As a result, the process that leads to execution is far from fair. There are 68 crimes for which the death penalty could be used including violent crime, tax fraud, stealing petrol, killing a panda, and disrupt ting the stock market. These executions accomplish another goal as well: organ transplants. Over 90% of all organs transplanted in China are from executed prisoners. Over two million Chinese need transplants every year, but only about 20,000 receive them. There is no system of voluntary donors, because cultural norms dictate that human body remains should enter the earth intact.

 

Some of the groups that are targeted by the executions in China are the Falun Gong and Tibetans. Both of these groups threaten the power that the Communist Party has over its people. The Falun Gong is a religious sect that has 30 to 100 million members worldwide and it is a mixture of qigong, Buddhism, and Daoism. I had heard of them before, because I have seen them demonstrating throughout the United States. They do their tai-chi like ceremonies as well as showing pictures of the torture of their followers back in China. When the group began, the Chinese government commended them, but for some reason, they went full circle and began persecution.

 

Tibet has also received international spotlight recently. It is especially tense because March 10th is the anniversary of their revolt against Chinese rule in 1959. Ever since, their spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, has been exiled in Dharamsala, India. Although the Dalai Lama has emphasized non-violence, this year the demonstrations seem to be especially tense. Since Chinese officials restrict visits to Tibet, it is hard to get credible information about the situation. To learn more about the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan situation, I would recommend checking out the documentary entitled 10 Questions for the Dalai Lama by Rick Ray. The Dalai Lama will meet with anybody and each person has ten questions. However, if a person is not sincere, no matter how much power and prestige that he or she has, the Dalai Lama will walk out of the appointment. Also, here is an article from The Economist about the Tibetan situation: http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id=10875823

 

 

Censorship

 

Censorship is an incredibly important tool used by the Chinese government to keep their citizens misinformed. For example, Allyson went on a university visit and talked with various college students. The students had no idea what was going on in Tibet. When I went to an Internet café and searched YouTube, a comment came up saying that I couldn't view that information in China. Just recently CNN and BBC were allowed into China just because the foreign journalists that are there for the Olympics demanded it. However, once the Olympics are over, those liberties will disappear.

 

There was an incredible sense of being watched wherever we went. Especially in Beijing, there were guards everywhere. When we were in Tiananmen Square, our guide mentioned nothing about the massacre that occurred in 1989. When someone asked about that event, he stated that he was not allowed to talk about it and said that there are a lot of taboo subjects in China.

 

 

Knock-offs and Scams

 

I felt like I always had to be on guard in China. There were knock-off purses. There were knock-off cars. There were knock-off shoes. There were tons of scams as well. So many college students would come up to us and practice their English. However, we were warned that some may want to take us to a tea ceremony and then charge us with a huge bill. I hated being skeptical of the intentions of college students that came up to us and wanted to speak English.

 

46 comments:

Anonymous said...

all your comments hit the dot! I felt very much the same when I went back to China four years ago, the smog, the scams, the out-of-place-ness. It was very strange because everything was both very familiar and very very very strange. I think it also had to with the mixture of traditional and modern , and the displacement of the eastern by western. Anyway, I'm glad that you got to go sight-see and that you weren't caught in the sandy season at Beijing. Did you go to any good restuarants??

Anonymous said...

Wow, China sounds intense. And that smog is crazy. Also, I think you might be the only person at Goldman next year who doesn't like to bargain. Miss you so much.
-Jillian

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca, Mike Schulteis here live from Muskego. Awesome trip! My class will be reading it next week and watch for some comments or questions. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca,
I am Ireland from Mr. Schulteis class. You went to a lot of different places in the world. What do you think is the coolest place you have gone to so far? I would just like to go to some place where it is warm all year round. China sound a little different than I thought, but it must have been fun to go. I really do not like the pollution and how un friendly it sounds. Well have fun going around the world!

Anonymous said...

Where did you sleep in china???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Anonymous said...

Ohh my gosh!! It would be sooo much fun to be able to toboggan down the Great Wall of China!! You have been able to do so many things on this trip. You are sooo lucky!! I am from Mr. Schulteis's class.
~Dani~

Anonymous said...

hi, it's Jake from Mr.Schulteis's class. I love the idea of barganing to get something.

Anonymous said...

My name is jill i am from Mr.schulteis's class, i never new how many people lived in china. Do you think the people in china will ever find out what the government is doing to them? i hope they do because what they are doing is not good. if we are helping Iraq why arnt we helping China?

Anonymous said...

wow
china is really poluted i think it would be a little dangerous just to stay there.

-k

Anonymous said...

Did you get scamed at all?????

Anonymous said...

so how was china did you have fun and did you see any cool stuff there if you did could you please post it on your blog that would be terific i would love that thank you very much bye.

Anonymous said...

Dear Becca,
I am Allison from Mr. Schulteis room. China sounds very well... intense, and very smogey. One time my cousin went to china and she got her hair permed and her hair looked like a poodle! Instead of using regular perming tools they used pipe clearner.

Anonymous said...

did you ride a lot of bikes

Anonymous said...

Hi, it's jake from Mr.S's class. I think that the way they kill people that much is mean.

Anonymous said...

so how was china did you have fun and did you see any cool stuff there if you did could you please post it on your blog that would be terific i would love that thank you very much bye.

Anonymous said...

wow i think that it is cool that u landed in the city on my b-day hope u had fun

Anonymous said...

Hi, Becca!!
Hi am Cassie, I am a student from Mr. Shulteis class. I am fastanated by what you are doing. Is it sometimes scary in China, because you are missing your family?? I now that I would!!

Sincerly,
~Cassie rox~

Anonymous said...

i like trvaling also

Anonymous said...

Hi, Becca!!
Hi am Cassie a student in Mr.Shulteis class. Did you ever see someone get scamed?? And if you did, did you tell somebody.
Have you ever got scamed??

Sincerly,
~Cassie rox~

Anonymous said...

Hi, Becca!!
Hi am Cassie a student in Mr.Shulteis class. Did you ever see someone get scamed?? And if you did, did you tell somebody.
Have you ever got scamed??

Sincerly,
~Cassie rox~

Anonymous said...

it's jake again. I understand why China is guarded like that. They are so over populated, that they can't help it.

Anonymous said...

Hello Becca, im jack from mr. schuleis's class. china sounds awesome i hope i can go there some day. I have a question for the big turtle you saw? If you had to guess how old and how big do think it was? thanks have a good rest of the trip.

Anonymous said...

Dear Becca,
This trip sounds astonishing! I would love to travel on that trip, i've always wanted to go to china or aisa. I've travled down to the caribean, and throughout the U.S. but that still leaves the rest of the world!
(Ps: Is the trip your on heading to Ireland?)

Anonymous said...

Hi this is meagan from Mr.schulteis socical studies class!
I was thinking about how cool It must be to travel the world like you are doing. I want to go on this trip it sounds like alot of fun.

your friend meagan

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca
This is Brianna from Mr. Schulteis's Social Studies class.

I was wondering,
What do you want to do that you are on a ship learning about this stuff?

Thanks (:

Anonymous said...

I'm Dylan from Mr. Shulties, social studies class. If the colloge students are scaming people they either must be really poor or they just like messing with inocent people

Anonymous said...

Hi becca im in Mr. schulteis's social studies class and the pictures that you took are amazing. They help he understand these entries on your blog. I can not wait to see were you go next.
-Connor

Anonymous said...

heyy becca, this is me Brooke Bryden for Mr.Schulteis class. Wow China sounds so interesting. i was wondring do u know how old the turtle is? And one more thing i am dieing to ask you. did u go shopping anywhere? i hope you have a good trip where ever else you are going.
Take Care!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi this is Ryan. I really think the turtle was really BIGGGGGG. I love reptiles so yea.... What was your favorite country that you whent to? Mine would be Africa.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca my name is Kim and I am a student at Lake Denoon and my social studies teacher Mr. shulteis. I felt like I was in the places you were at while reading them. Also that would be soo cool to ride on the elephant. where you scared at all? One day I would like to go around the world the place I would like to go best would be Japan.
Well have fun on your trip!:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Becca,
This is Julie from Mr.Schulteis's class. I have some questions for you. Were you afaird of the turtle when you touched it? I mean that thing is huge!! What is your favorite place so far? Did you go shopping at anyplace? Are you getting seasick at all? If so i hope you feel better!! Are you scared to go to these places? I mean with the war going on and stuff. I don't get why the people shave their heads in that ceromony? Take care...and Have Fun!!!

Anonymous said...

hey Becca I am mitchel and I am in Mr.Schulteis i think that the picture of the turtle is pretty cool. I think that when people in China need a heart trasplant they get they're heart from executioned prisoners. Why do they do that.

Anonymous said...

Hey Becca i think that the pictures of the giant turtle are cool!
- connor

Anonymous said...

Hey Becca, This is Hailee from Mr.Schulteis social studies class.
China seems fun.What is the best place you have been so far???
China seems very dirty. Was it fun in China???Did you ride a bike to get anywere there????

Well take care(:(:
From,Hailee

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca, This is Jamie from Mr.Schulteis social studies class. I was on your web sight and I thought that it was very interesting. It was cool looking at pictures of China, and reading about it to. But China is one place that I honestly would not want to go to. Because it is very dirty, and it is very polluted. What was your favorite place that you went to????? Did you not like one of the places that you went to so far????? Well it was cool reading your web sight!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Becca,

My mom has gone to most of those places, and has been scammed but never bought anything. She told me that those people all they want is to get money and don't care otherwise. How many times did people try to scam you? Were some of the scams hard to choose? Out of all the places you've went to, and all of the people you've met which place would you want to live in the most? What types of events did you do on your long trip around the world? The main thing I would want to do is fish in every place I go to. When I get out of college you've encouraged me to take a world wide trip and discover the world and animals. Because I'm going to be an animal scientist I would go on the trip to find animals to learn about. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey Becca, its Connor again and I have a question. When you travel from country to country are the cultures very different?
-Connor

Anonymous said...

Hey Becca. Im Sanya from Mr. Schulteis class. I have a couple of questions for you. Did you see any other intresting animals on your trip so far? Also are you going to see the olympics in China? Another thing is did the Chinese Father and daughter get mad at you for running into them? And how was the great wall of china? was it huge? I always wanted to see it up close.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca, this is Brianna from Mr. Schulteis's class.

Yuck. Smog.
Did it smell or could you just see it? Did it feel heavier like Humidity?

About the knockoffs. So they had like name brand stuff but it was really fake and not the real stuff?

Anonymous said...

Scams galore!!! Ahhhh! We we're traveling in the Caribean one time, when this random man with a monkey in his hands runs out of the rainforest. He simpally asked "Camera?" and we nodded. Immediatly the man placed the moneky on our head and said "picture" so my mom took out the camera and took pictures. When we we're all done the man said "Five dollars each" We we're preaty mad, but since most of the Caribean is a third-world country we aggred to the man's asking price and set off.

Anonymous said...

Hi its Kim and my social studies teacher is Mr. Schulteis. I always wanted to go to china,but now scince I'm hearing of all of these executions. Also of there terrible polution. When you were in china could you just smell the pollution?
well happy traveling!!!!!
☺☻☺☻☺☻☺

Anonymous said...

Hey this is Hailee again.
Did you see the Great Wall OF China????????

Anonymous said...

Hey Becca,
I have another question, when you were in china did you visit any temples or monistaries?

- Connor

Anonymous said...

Hi becca it's JJ from Mr.schulteis's class. I wonder what it would be like if america would have 68 crimes with the death penalty no matter what. I think that would stink because millions's of people would be killed daily, and it would be strange if we couldent go on youtube anymore.

P.S: The smog makes the buildings look like there in the coulds! I personally would not like to visit china.

Anonymous said...

i like china food

Anonymous said...

i like china food
i like china food
i like china food
i like china food
i like china food
i like china food