Sunday, January 27, 2008

In Puerto Rico!

Hola amigos!

I am in Puerto Rico right now. We had been on the ship for two days and arrived to Puerto Rico on Saturday morning. The sunrise was beautiful as we came into port. (I will add a picture once I download my pictures - I forgot to bring my cord to this Starbucks...grr).

The "ship" is great. We have been instructed to use the correct vocabulary for our "voyage" around the world. Since I have never been on a ship before, I didn't know whether or not I would get seasickness. It rocks much more than I expected, and I had a headache for the first couple days but I think I got used to it. Now, when I am on land, I feel like I am rocking back and forth like there is an earthquake in Puerto Rico or something.

We lost an hour on the first night of the trip and we will continuing losing time as we travel around the world. The funny thing is that we re-live April 15th. We gain a whole extra day. I think I would rather gain hours every night, rather than having another day of class.

So, what have I been doing in Puerto Rico? I went on a walking tour around Old San Juan yesterday and then had lunch - plantain cups with chicken and a mango fruit drink. Delicious! Much better than the food in the Bahamas. Last night I went kayaking to a bioluminescent bay, where the waters light up when you put your hands through it. Tomorrow I am going on a rainforest hike to the only rainforest in the U.S. park system.

I also figured I should enlighten you about how the commonwealth of Puerto Rico is different from a state?
  • They can't vote for president because the electoral college votes are only distributed to states.
  • They don't pay federal taxes although they do have higher local taxes.
  • They are separate in international competitions (such as the Olympics, beauty pageants, etc.)
Pictures to come soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

AHHH bioluminescence!!!! That sounds soo cooool!!!! and the pictures are awesome, the sun looks so gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

whoa. i agree with amudha. bioluminscent water? i am such a nerd.

partying like a rockstar yet?

Ann

Anonymous said...

hi becca, i am a student from mr. schulttis class and i like how you wright your blog. that is alot of money for gas.

from: loralynn